Public Higher Secondary school of silchar town is one of the oldest schools of silchar. It was established in the year 1942 when whole country was Under Quit India Movement. Primarily the school was established in a small cottage at Premtola, silchar and thereafter under the able help of the generous people of silchar it was shifted at the present place by constructing a thatched hut in the place which was leased land of Radhamadhab Akhra. Gradually under the able guidance of the people of silchar, Public H.S. School fully came into existence. The first Headmaster of the school was Ajit Singha Roy. He served the school for a short period and after that Kapil Bhattacharjee took the charge of the Headmaster of the school. Rama Ranjan Bhattacharjee, a renowned teacher and an educationist took over the charge of Headmaster and under his able guidance the school gradually became one of the best schools in Barak Valley. The school received Ad Hoc grant in 1948 and came under Def. Grant in 1959 and provincialised by the Govt. in 1977. The teacher of the schools who served by the meager wage in those days always try to impart educaton to the students heartily as a result in the Matriculation Exam by capturing positions and also recorded good percentage of pass in the university exam.
Teachers like Kironmoy Nag, Satish Ch. Das, Premendra Mohan Goswami, Shudhendu Shyam Chowdhury, Manmath Nath Das, Premendra Mohan Goswami, Amaracharan Bhattacharjee. Dwijesh Ranjan Nandy and Purnendu kr. Bhattacharjee, Dharanikanta Bhattacharjee, Bimal Choudhury, Prasun Kanti Deb and shymalendu Chakraborty are amongst other teachers of the school. Students like Chunilal Roy, Subir Nag, Dr.Manabendra Deb, Parthajyoti Dutta able to secure position in the university examination.
The infrastructure of the school was in a deplorable condition. But due to the untiring efforts of D.K. Bhattacharjee and later by the efforts of Sri Anjanava Dutta the infrastructure is gradually improving by the generous help of the school and in this connection we may remember the name of Sri Santosh Mohan Deb, Ex-Union Minister in this regards whose generous help. School Auditorium and boundary wall of the school were constructed and school is now took a good shape and secured. This was due to the efforts of Sri Anjanava Dutta, then Principal.
The school was upgraded to a Higher Secondary level in the year 1984 in humanities stream only and many learned and experienced teachers were appointed in the section of the school and under their efforts the performance of the various Exams of the students are quite satisfactory and gradually improving.